If you’re a parent, you’ve probably wondered how chiropractic care can help your infant or young child. Many people are unaware of all the ways that a chiropractor can help youngsters avoid problems like ear infections, colic, and many others. And even folks who do know the advantages of chiropractic care for infants often worry about whether treatment is safe for their kids, or whether babies might be scared or cry during an exam.
The good news is this: chiropractic care for infants and young children. In fact, every year there are about 70 million pediatric visits to chiropractic offices. Parents bring their infants in for all sorts of reasons, ranging from colic to ear infections.
Not only do chiropractors successfully treat millions of babies, infants, toddlers, and young kids, they’re able to bring relief to young people for problems like sleep irregularities, bedwetting, asthma, ear infections, improper posture, and many more. For parents who are just now discovering the many benefits of chiropractic care for young people, it’s important to know some specifics.
First, what exactly can a chiropractor do for your child? Second, how safe is chiropractic treatment for infants and other youngsters? Finally, what’s the first step to take to get the right kind of help for your children? Those questions, and others, are on the minds of parents who want to learn more about the benefits of chiropractic care for infants and children of all ages.
How Chiropractic Care Helps Infants and Younger Children
What can a chiropractor do for your infant, toddler, or child of any age? The list is rather long, but here are some of the most relevant points that moms and dads should keep in mind. For example, infant chiropractic care offers:
- Immune System Enhancement: The entire nervous system plays a role in keeping the immune system in good shape. Chiropractic adjustments can bolster the immune system in numerous ways.
- Alleviation of Colic: With gentle massage techniques, chiropractors can help stimulate a baby’s stomach and other internal organs in such a way that the body is able to prevent colic and related digestive problems. Clinical studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of chiropractic care for the treatment and alleviation of colic.
- Treatment for Ear Infections: Many ear infections are nerve-related, which means that chiropractic treatment is able to correct the source of the problem. Antibiotics for ear infections are not a wise choice when alternatives like chiropractic care exist.
- Vertebral Realignment: The process of birth sometimes causes a baby’s vertebrae to become poorly aligned. Very gentle chiropractic adjustment can bring the vertebrae back into line and create an optimal environment for healthy growth.
- Healthy Physical Development and Growth: So much depends on the spine being in its natural alignment. As noted above, birth trauma is often the cause of poorly aligned vertebrae in infants.
- Enhancement of Posture: It’s a fact of life that when infants learn to crawl and walk they often take tumbles. Sometimes, those falls can do real damage, which is why it’s important for parents to have a chiropractor check for nerve and other kinds of damage that could hinder natural growth.
- Relief From Allergies and Asthma: A healthy nervous system does wonders for the body’s natural healing potential. Chiropractic is one of the most effective, safest ways for infants to overcome asthma and allergy problems.
- Correction of Improper Crawling Habits: A trained chiropractic physician can observe your baby’s crawling style and point out possible habits that could be causing long-term postural problems. This is one of the unique ways that chiropractors can assist parents who have newborns.
- Correction of Sleep Problems: Improper alignment of the spine can cause hundreds of different problems. One of them is faulty sleep patterns. For infants, proper sleep is absolutely essential. It allows their tiny bodies to grow in the right way. A chiropractor can assess and treat sleep challenges that little ones often face as soon as they arrive home from the hospital.
Children and infants face a whole host of physical roadblocks on the path to proper, healthy development. Regular chiropractic care is one of the safest, most effective ways to make certain that your baby gets the care he or she needs.
Why Chiropractic Is Totally Safe For Infants
It’s a fact that parents worry about the safety of any kind of medical treatment for their children. When it comes to chiropractic care, concerned moms and dads usually want to know how safe various procedures are, whether an infant will respond well to the treatment, whether an exam will cause the baby to cry, and how infant exams differ from what adults experience in a chiropractor’s office. Those are all valid, pertinent questions.
For starters, it’s essential that parents realize that chiropractic care and treatment is totally safe for patients of all ages. In fact, chiropractors use special, very gentle techniques when working with infants and smaller patients. It’s actually common for babies to be completely unaware that they’re even being examined. That’s how soft the touch of a chiropractic physician is. And doctors who specialize in treating young patients are especially adept at making the experience a positive one for infants and younger kids.
And, chiropractors know that no parent wants to see their baby cry during an exam, adjustment, or test of any kind. Doctors are parents, too, and understand those types of concerns. All babies are different, and some respond to new faces and situations by crying, remaining silent, or even laughing. Much depends, in other words, on an infant’s personality.
Additionally, it’s possible for a skilled, experienced chiropractor to help little ones who might be afraid of a doctor’s or dentist’s office. Many of us adults remember going to have a medical or dental exam when we were very young. In most cases, it’s just the newness of the environment that was a bit off-putting. But after we saw the same doctor two or three times, we began to look forward to going.
The bottom line is that chiropractic treatment techniques are not painful in any way for young children. For some infants, just seeing the face of a stranger can cause a slight amount of uneasiness, but that usually abates after a few minutes. Considering the many benefits that chiropractic care offers to infants, there’s really no need to avoid bringing your children in for an exam, adjustment, or treatment of any kind.
Getting the Help Your Infant Needs
There’s no question that chiropractic care is beneficial for infants and children of all ages. Not only is it a good choice for parents who want the best for their kids, but chiropractic treatment is often the most effective form of medical care you can choose when a child is hurting, or when you want the most powerful form of preventive care available.
Not only does chiropractic enhance young immune systems, but it also bolsters the nervous system in such a way that infants grow in a healthy, natural way. Whether the problem is an ear infection, asthma, colic, trouble with sleep habits, or something else, chiropractic care for infants and children of any age can bring long-lasting relief. When you want the best medical care for your family, whether it’s for your children or yourself, don’t hesitate to give our office a call.
Feel free to visit our website, where you’ll see more about what we do at Dean Chiropractic. We’ll be happy to answer your questions when you call and make an appointment for a consultation at your convenience. Our direct phone number is 248-796-0539. At Dean Chiropractic, we welcome all new patients, whether they’re newborn infants or people of any age. We look forward to helping you and your family with natural, effective health care solutions.